Ewings who settled the area in and around Robinson Township, Allegheny Co, Pennsylvania just before and after the Revolutionary War.For a summary descendancy chart for these settlers click here.
- Moses Ewing (1725-1798): Moses was an older brother of Squire James Ewing. He almost certainly joined his younger brother, James, in migrating to Southwestern Pennsylvania about 1773. Like his brother, he homesteaded land in Collier Township. While alive, he rented part of his approximately 400 acre homestead; having no sons, he needed help in working the land. At his death, Moses left his land to his brother James. [Ancestors, Descendants]
- James Ewing, Squire (1733-1825): James Ewing went West about the time (1773) that Westmorland County was created from Bedford County. He was accompanied by his wife, Mary McKown, and first son, William. He was also probably accompanied by his brother Moses. It is probable that he first settled land along Montours Run, near its mouth with the Ohio River, in the area that became known as Ewing's Mill. His 1814 will refers to land on Montours Run adjoining David Smith, William Holland and a second parcel held by patent on which are both a Grist Mill and Saw Mill lying (together, my whole claim on the waters of Montours Run)." He subsequently homesteaded with the assistance of several slaves to help clear his land and erect improvements some 680 acres in the area near Walker's Mill in Collier Township. Later, he purchased an additional 350-or-so acres from Robert Boyd, this land lying between his original homestead and the land of Isaac Walker. He apparently also owned some land in North Fayette Township, to the west of the Walker's, that he transferred to his cousin Samuel Ewing (1741-1820). [Ancestors, Descendants]
- Samuel Ewing (1751-1805): This Samuel was a first cousin of Squire James. He and Jean (Neal) Ewing moved from Perry County to Southwestern Pennsylvania prior to the birth of their son John in 1798. At the time of his death in 1805, Samuel's family lived in Moon Township; this is probably where he originally settled. It appears that after Samuel's death, his family relocated to Beaver County to live near Samuel's brother James. It is most likely that this James settled in Beaver County prior to his brother's death. Alternatively, however, James may have moved to Beaver County at the time of his brother's death to support his sister-in-law, Samuel's wife Jean and her young, minor children. [Ancestors, Descendants]
- Alexander Ewing (1752-1798): Alexander was a nephew of Squire James Ewing. Prior to moving to Allegheny County, he lived in Adams County, Pennsylvania. He was a teamster and hauled goods back and forth between Eastern Pennsylvania and the Pittsburgh area. He moved to the Allegheny County area about 1779 and settled in North Fayette Township on land to the west of land owned by Isaac and Gabriel Walker (and which he possibly purchased from the Walker's). He was accompanied by his wife and his first two sons, John and Thomas. [Ancestors, Descendants]
- Samuel Ewing (1752-1820): Samuel Ewing, a first cousin of Squire James, and his wife Mary Oldham started out their married life in Cecil County, Maryland. They may have moved to Allegheny County in steps, stopping in Redstone, near Uniontown, Fayette County, Pennsylvania. They were living in North Fayette Township by the time of the 1800 Census but not, as well as can be determined, at the time of the previous 1790 Census. Their son Amos had married by the time of the 1800 Census and is listed separately. Samuel and his son probably settled on land near the current town of Oakland in North Fayette Township that he obtained from his cousin James Ewing (1733-1825). [Ancestors, Descendants]
- Moses Ewing (1762-1845): This Moses was a first cousin once removed of Squire James Ewing. Like his second cousin, Alexander Ewing (1740-1798), Moses became attracted to Southwestern Pennsylvania while a teamster hauling freight between Pittsburgh and Eastern Pennsylvania. He migrated to the area in 1792 and eventually settled, some fifteen years later, 180 acres in Robinson Township. [Ancestors, Descendants]